I was quietly walking around the grocery store without kids (you moms know what heaven this can be!) when I get a phone call with a panicked Daddy on the other end of the line…."Middle E has swallowed a penny!! Hurry home we need to go to the ER!!!'
My first reaction, is she breathing?? She was. Is she acting ok? She was. Ok, well lots of kids swallow things and they just come out the other end in time.
But Middle E was complaining an hour later that her throat still hurt and telling me the penny was "stuck". So to the ER we went.
You would have never thought there was a thing wrong with her. She was bouncing around singing and dancing for all the nurses. I think she was really enjoying all the attention. It made me begin to wonder if there was even a penny stuck in there at all. Daddy had not SEEN the penny being swallowed. So off to X ray we went.
Yep. There's a penny. Yep. It's stuck. We were admitted to the Seattle Children's Hospital for overnight observation. This included no food/drink and little sleep. Oh, and about 6 more X rays just like the one above to make sure it hadn't moved on before they rushed her into surgery. Nope, wasn't going anywhere.
So in she went, they knocked her out and went down her throat and pulled it out.
Here she is just waking up with her penny. She said it was all clean now. She also told me next time she would stick to dimes because they are smaller. How about no. Stinker.
She is now all recovered and back to her normal self. We have had numerous MORE talks, in addition to the ones we had already had, about not putting things that are not food into your mouth.
Lesson learned? We shall see…...